It was Mr. Wilbur Tusler who took on the chair position of the Friends of the Wild Flower Garden Building Committee responsible for the construction of the Martha Crone Shelter. He was an architect. In 1917 he and an associate, G. R. Magney, formed the architectural firm of Magney and Tusler, that in 1969 became Magney, Tusler & Setters. Mr. Tusler had retired from active work earlier. His firm did the architectural work for the Main Post Office in Minneapolis, the Young-Quinlan Building, the MacPhail School of Music, the Minneapolis Woman's Club, the Foshay Tower, and four hospitals: Swedish, Abbott, Northwestern and Deaconess. The original Prudential Insurance Building in Golden Valley and the Armatage School in South Minneapolis are also his firms work.
Mr. Tusler joined the Friends Board of Directors in 1969 at the request of Friends President Catherine Faragher, Tusler having already been active with the Friends in the building plan. He was on the board through 1974.
Mr. Tusler arranged for the design of the shelter from architect Hiram Livingston and oversaw the construction. He contributed substantial funds to help fund the construction and created the memorial to his wife Margaret that is the lintel of the Shelter door.
It was at the Sept. 5th, 1968 first meeting of a project committee for the building of a new Garden shelter that Tusler also proposed that the Garden name be changed to add “and Bird Sanctuary.” The suggestion was to be presented to the Minneapolis Park Board. It was approved in early 1969.
He passed away on Aug. 14, 1985 at age 94.
Reference: Minutes of The Board of Directors and other documents of the Friends of the Wild Flower Garden, Inc.